Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Ed Ranks the Three Tenors

Get outta here, 4th guy. You're ruining the whole "3" thing.
Hey… remember the Three Tenors? Yeah, those two Spanish guys (Plácido Domingo and José Carreras) and the Italian dude (Luciano Pavarotti).  They formed an opera supergroup. Yeah, that’s right. An opera supergroup! It’s like somebody saw the Traveling Wilburys and said, “Hey, we should do that for opera!”  What kind of person would say that… I don’t know. Some opera person, I guess. You know. Those people.

At the very least, this one will be short!

3. José Carreras – Even if you’re not really familiar with them, if someone mentions “the Three Tenors,” your reaction will probably be, “Oh yeah, those opera singers! Pavarotti, Domingo and that third guy.”  Well, that third guy is Carreras. I mean I guess it’s cool that he’s all into humanitarian causes and fighting leukemia and stuff. But he’s still the tenor you’re most likely to forget.

2. Luciano Pavarotti –
Yes, the fat one. He was probably the most famous of the three, which may lead you to question why he’s coming in at #2 rather than #1. In fact, if you can only name one opera singer, it’s probably Pavarotti. So do I have a justification for why he’s coming in second? Well, I think that will become apparent soon.

1. Plácido Domingo – Pavarotti might be famous, but is he so famous that he had a Muppet named after him? I don’t think so.  Plácido Domingo wins simply because of Plácido Flamingo. Oh, and also because I opened that gate to let him onto the field that one time when I was an usher for the Nationals. I guess that was cool. But mostly the Muppet thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment