Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Ed Ranks the Bulgarian Alphabet

Everybody, sing along! A-B-V-G, D-E-Zh... ♫
One time, long ago in the days of yore when this blog was new (2016), I ranked the letters of the alphabet. Well, there are more alphabets than the English one, aren't there? So how about we rock some motherfuckin' Cyrillic! Various Slavic, Turkic and Iranic-speaking countries in Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and Northern Asia use Cyrillic, and none of them quite have the "same" version. But since the Cyrillic alphabet was commissioned by Bulgarian Tsar Simeon I the Great in the 9th-Century, I'm going to go ahead and say Bulgarian is the version to use. That, plus I took an awesome trip to Bulgaria a year ago.

There are 30 of these things, here we go!

30. О о
  • What I call it: O
  • Official Transliteration: O o
  • English Equivalent: O, as in "order." Pretty boring here, and exactly what you'd expect.

29. А а
  • What I call it: A
  • Official Transliteration: A a
  • English Equivalent: A, as in "angle." Again, the same as English, so not very interesting.

28. М м
  • What I call it: M
  • Official Transliteration: M m
  • English Equivalent: M, as in "man." Basically the same, but the lowercase m is sort of like a baby capital M. That's something, right?

27. Т т
  • What I call it: T
  • Official Transliteration: T t
  • English Equivalent: T, as in "top." Same as the M above. The lowercase t is different than the English version.

26. Е е
  • What I call it: E
  • Official Transliteration: E e
  • English Equivalent: E, as in "best." Exactly the same as English, but it's still a great letter, isn't it?

If you care about cursive too, here ya go!
25. С с
  • What I call it: C
  • Official Transliteration: S s
  • English Equivalent: S, as in "sound." This one was a curveball, wasn't it? It's not C at all! It's S!

24. Р р
  • What I call it: P
  • Official Transliteration: R r
  • English Equivalent: R, as in "restaurant." Another twist! P is R! 

23. В в
  • What I call it: B
  • Official Transliteration: V v
  • English Equivalent: V, as in "vet." Now I just feel like I'm being toyed with.

22. Н н
  • What I call it: H
  • Official Transliteration: N n
  • English Equivalent: N, as in "normal." Another pretty ho-hum one, which has a slightly different lowercase letter, but also throws a loop as to which letter it represents. 
 21. У у
  • What I call it: Slightly curly Y
  • Official Transliteration: U u
  • English Equivalent: Oo, as in "tool" or "boot." A double twist! Not only is Y not Y, but it's official transliteration into U isn't right either, because in our language we use this more like the good ol' double-O. It's also a little curlier than the English Y, so that's worth something. 

20. К к
  • What I call it: Fancy K, so so fancy!
  • Official Transliteration: K k
  • English Equivalent: K, as in "make." I know this one is barely different, but those fancy curls on the top-right corner really make this letter a distinguished, erudite K, deserving of praise.

19. Х х
  • What I call it: Good ol' reliable X
  • Official Transliteration: H h
  • English Equivalent: Ch, as in "loch." This is a weird one. The H transliteration isn't even accurate, because it's more of a Ch than H. Ch is a good letter to have, and deserves to be its own letter. But this isn't even the ONLY Ch in the Bulgarian language. They have another Ch, for the more commonly used version of it that we all know and love from classics like "cheese" and "cherry." But let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is the weird one for words like "loch," which isn't even really an English equivalent, is it? Unless Scots Gaelic suddenly became "English."

18. Щ щ
  • What I call it: Roman Numeral Three, Leaking
  • Official Transliteration: Sht sht
  • English Equivalent: Sht, as in "Shtick." I'll agree that Sh may deserve to be its own letter, but I'm not sure there are enough Sht words to justify it being its own thing. I dunno. Maybe in Bulgarian. This letter is also very close to their existing letter for Sh, which I'll talk about in a bit. It feels like it's just a barely-different copycat of the other one. 

17. Ь ь
  • What I call it: Lowercase b!
  • Official Transliteration: Y y
  • English Equivalent: Y, as in "canyon." The Bulgarians have like 4 different versions of the letter Y. Bulgarians LOVE Y!!! This is one of them, and it's just okay.

16. З з
  • What I call it: 3
  • Official Transliteration: Z z
  • English Equivalent: Z, as in "zoo." I see you trying to slip in letters as numbers, Bulgarians! Don't try to get a fast one over on me!

Are these the things that shoot Space Invaders?
15. Д д
  • What I call it: What the Fuck?
  • Official Transliteration: D d
  • English Equivalent: D as in "door" or "dog." I guess when you think about this symbol, you can see how it evolved from the Greek Delta (Δ), but still. This just turned weird somewhere along the line.

14. Я я
  • What I call it: The Toys Я Us symbol
  • Official Transliteration: Ya ya
  • English Equivalent: Ya, as in "yarn." Yeah, I always wondered what the backwards R meant. I guess it was Ya the entire time, which I would not have guessed. And my friend, all these Bulgarian Y's have just begun! There are more Y's still! When it comes to a war where letters of the alphabet that stand for Y are a necessity, the Bulgarians will crush the English-speaking world like bugs.

13. Й й
  • What I call it: Backwards N, with a Fancy Hat!
  • Official Transliteration: Y y
  • English Equivalent: Y, as in "yoyo" or "yes." I'm a fan of how this letter looks, but I'm struggling to hear any different between Й and Ь in my head.

12. Ц ц
  • What I call it: Bleeding Roman Two
  • Official Transliteration: Ts
  • English Equivalent: Ts, as in "fits." I suppose this is useful. I dunno. Do you want to know how to get a cat's attention in Bulgaria? Just say Ц Ц Ц Ц Ц Ц Ц!

11. Б б
  • What I call it: Weird B
  • Official Transliteration: B b
  • English Equivalent: B, as in "boy." Ah, so weird B was a B after all! This was unexpected, after all the other fake-outs.

10. Ъ ъ
  • What I call it: ...Uhh... another B?
  • Official Transliteration: A a
  • English Equivalent: U, as in "turn." Odd, it transliterates as an A with a fancy hat, but is actually U. I don't know how I feel about this one. 
He will SHtab you.
 9. Ш ш
  • What I call it: THE GREAT TRIDENT OF POSEIDON, GOD OF THE SEA AND MIGHTY EARTH-SHAKER!
  • Official Transliteration: Sh sh
  • English Equivalent: Sh, as in "shit, motherfucker!" (or "sheep" too, I guess). If any letter that doesn't exist in English deserves to become a letter, it's probably "Sh." Sh deserves to be a letter. Also, I have always liked to pretend that III looks like Poseidon's Trident. And I pronounce it "Pwahh-Say-Dawwn."

8. Ю ю
  • What I call it: Like Æ, but for HO.
  • Official Transliteration: Yu yu
  • English Equivalent: Yu, as in "youth." I like how it looks. Hell, it's almost freaking Hangul (Korean)-looking. And yes, we have another Y on our hands here.

7. И и
  • What I call it: Backwards N, I suppose.
  • Official Transliteration: I i
  • English Equivalent: I, as in "machine." Yeah, it's similar to another one, which transliterates to a Y.

6. П п
  • What I call it: Stonehenge
  • Official Transliteration: P p
  • English Equivalent: P, as in "pet." After how cool this letter looked, I was hoping for something cooler than a P. Still, I'll pretend this is Stonehenge and say it's cool.

5. Ч ч
  • What I call it: Drunk h that fell down
  • Official Transliteration: Ch ch
  • English Equivalent: Ch, as in "chip," although sometimes also more like Tch like in "switch." The more popular and common Ch, as hinted at during #19 (X). If you hear Ч-Ч-Ч-Ч in Bulgaria, RUN! That means Jason Vorhees is coming for you.

4. Л л
  • What I call it: Dancing Stonehenge
  • Official Transliteration: L l
  • English Equivalent: L, as in "call." Again, L is pretty boring here. But I like the symbol. Why do their letters for L and P look like each other? Odd. 

3. Г г
  • What I call it: The GALLOWS, MAN!
  • Official Transliteration: G g
  • English Equivalent: G as in "good." Or, you know, "gallows." Because it looks like a gallows. That you hang someone from in the old west. Cool.

2. Ф ф
  • What I call it: Some Fraternity Shit
  • Official Transliteration: F f
  • English Equivalent: F, as in "food." Yeah, I've seen stuff like this symbol before, but usually in the form of the Greek Phi, where or more or less means the same thing (Ph, F).

This letter is a meaжureable colliжion of pleaжure.
1. Ж ж
  • What I call it: The King of All Letters
  • Official Transliteration: Zh zh
  • English Equivalent: S, as in "treasure." I can't even begin to explain how awesome this letter looks. It's also hard to even explain an English equivalent. Though it transliterates to Zh, one of the best examples anyone seems to be able to come up with is the aforementioned "treasure," which obviously isn't spelled "trezhure." Although maybe it should be. Or, more appropriately, "treжure." I supposed you could also say it's like the S in "vision." Wow, this letter is just more and more amazing every time I look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment