Thursday, March 21, 2024

Ed Ranks Pizza Toppings

I just re-ranked Board Games, which I had already done before. Does that mean I'm running out of ideas? HELL YEAH IT DOES! And along those lines... 

Once I ranked Regional Pizza Styles. Let me now do something slightly the same, but slightly different. Pizza toppings! Now the types of crusts and their shapes no longer matter. It's all about what you put on top. 

10. Olives

Olivies don't add too much to a pizza. Basically a little more salt and some vinegar. I liked them more when I was a kid, but now would generally skip them on a pizza. I mean... they just sort of exist there. I guess if I had to pick one over the other, I'd say black olives. But the chances of me selecting olives on a pizza when given a choice is low. Maybe if they come as part of a "supreme" package with a whole lot of different things on it.

9. Bell Peppers

Red, Green, Yellow - all the same. Adds some nice crush to the pizza and you can at least claim that it's a healthy topping. Again, in the end kind of "meh" and like with olives, whenever I have bell peppers on a pizza, it's probably just because it's part of a supreme or vegetarian pizza pre-determined pizza combo where you don't have to manually pick the ingredients. 

8. Extra Cheese

This is sort of boring. Delicious, but boring. Does it even count? I think so. 

7. Onions

Onions are fine on a pizza, although they often aren't cooked enough to my liking. Raw onions are pretty harsh, so I prefer my onions cooked. Often the onions on pizza are cooked in the oven for a little bit, but still maintain some of the harsh "raw onion" flavor.  But then again, sometimes if they are cooked for long enough, the onion can reach that nice level where those harsh notes are caramelized away into deliciousness. So long as the onions are cooked long enough, a solid choice, especially when complementing other ingredients. 

6. Bacon 

Bacon on a pizza is great, but I don't think it can stand alone. If you add bacon to a pizza, you need to add other things. Onions. Mushrooms. Veggies. Stuff like that. Or make an egg and make it like a breakfast pizza? 

5. Ham and Pineapple

Sorry haters, Hawaiian Pizza is delicious and pineapple does (when matched up with ham) belong on a pizza. It's not my #1 favorite pizza in the worls, but stop being a little whiny bitch and just accept that Hawaiian Pizzas are delicious. I'm putting these two things together because they BELONG together. Don't bother with a ham pizza without pineapple, or a pineapple pizza without ham. Unless you're a vegitarian I guess. But if that's true, you should just be ignoring all these meat entries anyway. 

4. Sausage 

Sausage on a pizza is great. It's on every meatlover's pizza and every supreme pizza, but unlike something like bacon where I think it's weird if you had just bacon and nothing else, it's not weird at all if it's just a sausage pizza. Solid choice, but there are three better. 

3. Jalapenos (or Hot Peppers in General) 

Why not take the nice crunch and vegetable healtiness of the bell pepper option above and upgrade it to some form of hot pepper (Jalapeno is the best, obviously... banana peppers are a good call too) and let it have some kick? This one SORT of falls into that bacon-type of category where it's better if it's paired up with other ingredients, but I think it's so versetile that it can be paired up with almost anything and still be great, elevating it up to the top 3! 

2. Mushrooms 

Mushrooms on a pizza are great. It's one of the best ways to have mushrooms. They're great on veggie lovers pizzas. They're great on supreme pizzas. And they are great just on their own. Look, I'm not saying Sbarro is the greatest pizza choice in the world, but there is one in the building where I work, and whenever I go there - the vast majority of the time I get a slice of mushroom pizza. Mushroom pizza is fantastic. 

1. Pepperoni

Was there any doubt? Was this even a question? Pepperoni is THE pizza topping. You don't even eat pepperonis with anything else, do you? I mean, there are other types of sliced meats with spice that you put on cold cuts rather than pepperoni, per se. This is it. This is the ultimate pizza topping and there should be no debate or further explanation needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment